sobota 3. novembra 2012


S I G H T S E E I N G  I N  N E W  D E L H I..


You know what I have started to miss here seriously? Coffee! Cappuchino with cinemon or latte, or just a simple presso with milk.. I should start looking out for Starbucks or Costa.. so far, I have discovered various branches of Baťa and the obligatory US fast foods. India has been opening for foreign investments, so I might be lucky. But lets get to sightseeing.




Sightseeing in Delhi is fun. For moving around the best thing to use is the three-wheeled green-yellow rikshaw (called tuc tuc). As we tried out today, an incredible number of four reasonably slim tourists plus driver do fit in... I must take a picture of that for you all :) The appropriate fare continues to be a mistery though. For comparable journeys with 3 or 4 passengers we paid today anything from 40 rupees (65 cents), up to 160 (2.3 EUR) rupees. Of course, we negotiate hard everytime before getting into the rikshaw, first deal, then drive.. and we are really getting better at negotiating, but still.. they might be ripping us off. What if the appropriate fare for locals is just 10 rupees?
By the way, in India everything is negotiable.. today I accidentaly negotiated also the exchange rate in National Bank of India..





India gate - national monument to commemorate 90,000 soldiers of the British Indian Army who died in WW I. Built in 1931, inspired by Arc de Triomphe in Paris. 

.. and my 3 fellow colleagues from the parliaments of Czech Rep, Lithuana and Croatia. 


Purana Quila (Old Fortress)
capital city from the famous epic Mahabharata used to stand here. One would think this is a sacred place for the Indians.. but the ruins are shabby, the lake filthy, the nearby park filled with litter. You would not want to rent the "romantic" boat.


striped squirrels are to be found everywhere







Humayun's Tumb

Tumb of an important Mogul ruler Humayun (1565).
Served as inspiration for the more famous tumb Taj Mahal.
Entrance fee:
locals 10 rupees, foreigners 250 rupees :)


A less preserved tumb of a Mogul family in local park Lodhi Gardens

(Great moguls were muslim rulers in Northern India in 16.- 18. century)

Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára